Friday, October 26, 2007

Surviving Bullying Poem


"Surviving Bullying"

This is to the terrified
Little girl, sitting on the stairs
Past bedtime.
Unable to take those steps
Into the warm sitting room,
To tell her parents
About the bullying.

No-one in the family
Had ever mentioned it.
Was she alone?
Was it her fault?
Was she weak?

At school,
Friends quickly leaving her,
As the girls said 'Wait for us outside'.
She never did,
She just ran and ran,
Sobbing, alone and humiliated.

Child, I know what is was like,
Scrambling up that cliff face,
Without equipment, advice
Or companionship.
Terrified of staying still
In such a hostile place.
But without the energy or hope
To look upwards, to the future.

Child, if I could sit with you
On those stairs, I'd offer you hope.
I'd ask you to look at me, your future.
The fear which clamped my personality
For so long, has now gone.

And bit by bit I have reclaimed
My life.
And it all started,
When I finally took those few steps
And walked crying into that room,
To tell my parents.

http://www.antibullying.net/ypcantcope.htm#

No comments: